As I covered in my last post, it is essential to utilize social media to promote and expose your newly created or long time running business. In order to get the most exposure through the use of Social media it is crucial that you utilize all types of the social network. Today I will cover the use of Instagram, and how it can be used to boost your exposure and increase sales. If used properly, Instagram has the potential to significantly help your business.
First off, there are a few things you must know about Instagram and the exposure it will provide. Instagram is a social media app that revolves on the use of pictures and hash tags (#example) to show others what you’re up to or what is on your mind. Also, the general age group that Instagram includes ranges from 14 – 24; it is widely used by the youth and young adults, but scarcely ever used by middle aged or elderly folk. Now that you know the basics of Instagram, below I have provided a list of tips and recommendations so that you may jump start your business on Instagram.
1. As you create your Instagram profile, be sure to create a profile picture and add a description of your business. This allows those viewing your profile to see what you’re all about through pictures and a nice description.
2. Post pictures that will interest others. Instagram users love interesting pictures or things they can share. This may be difficult at first because it seems that artsy photographers are the only ones good at this, but check out this new business and the photos they post. @thermosuccess
3. Use smart hash tags. Hash tags can either make or break your post, so use them wisely. Here are a few rules that you should abide by when using hash tags
- Keep number of hash tags anywhere from 1 – 6, sometimes more can be used, but once you have a significant following, do not use tons of hash tags… it gets annoying.
- Be straight and to the point, by being direct with your tags, it is much more likely that you will get more views. People search for tags such as #sunset, they don’t search for #beautifulcaliforniasunset
- Use some humor when hash tagging
- Use hash tags that relate to your photo or what you’re trying to portray to your audience.
- Keep your tags short, use one word or two words at most.
4. Add a description to each photo, by doing this you allow viewers to understand what your trying to get across to them even if you have a bad picture.
5. Use Instagram to offer promotions, coupons, and giveaways.
6.Create photo contests. This can easily be done by making a post about the contest instructing those wanting to compete to hash tag their photos with your unique hash tag. (ex. #shoesprintphotocontest)
Now that you know all the basics of business promotion on Instagram, create an Instagram profile on your smartphone and start promoting. After your profile is created, be sure to link your profile to your website. Adding Instagram to your website can easily be done by creating a badge on Instagram.com.
Below I have included some pictures and links to successful Instagram profiles. If you’d like me to follow your on Instagram, just let me know in the comments box.